Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 August 2015

Cold Brew attempts part 1!

This post is about my attempts to make a cold brew - some were good, some were okay, some were absolutely horrible! But that's just because I've never made it before, so had to experiment plenty! I thought I would try to make cold brews after trying an amazing one in The Plan, after a pretty decent one in Caravan, Kings Cross branch.  They were all brewed by French Press first, with cold water and then put through filter paper to make it nice and smooth.
Best cold brew I have had, from The Plan


Department of Coffee, Stargazer blend
This was my first attempt actually, and had some nice results!  It had a nice citrus lemon flavour, mixed with hints of orange as well as a slight caramel flavour.  It did also have a slight dirty cocoa flavour, but partially probably because the grind was very inconsistent (as my grinder was acting up a bit).  This was made using around a 4:1 or 5:1 water to coffee ratio, and brewed it for around 12 hours with quite a coarse grind.  After it finished brewing, I did also put it in a Fanta fruit twist bottle as it was the only empty bottle I had - though I think this gave it a little extra fruity taste!

I then tried another coarse grind (slightly less so than the last), but brewed for about 16 hours with around a 5:1 water:coffee ratio.  It had a little bit of an earthy taste, but then there were also slight hints of lemon and green apple citrus, then with a bit of a brown sugar taste.  It was a little acidic, but still think I have a long way to go!

Moka D'or Espresso Blend (Drury
This is an espresso blend, but on the website it also says it goes well as filter so thought I'd give it a try!  Trying as a flat white, it was nice and fruity, suggesting it could be great as cold brew.  It was a reasonably coarse grind, which was brewed for around 12 hours in the french press, followed by filtering.



Caravan Market Blend
This blend is a much lighter blend, but I possibly rested it a little too long (in hope that it would bring out more flavours).  I brewed this for 16 hours about with a coarse grind.  This gave a bit of an earthy base, but then had a slight orange citrus and brown sugar or caramel hint.  However, all I have tried so far have had this earthy taste (and have been a little bitter), which I need to try to remove.

Since writing this, I have tried a couple other coffees - Pact Coffee and a couple other Columbian ones, but can't seem to get that great sweet flavour with no bitterness that I got in The Plan.  Most that I have managed to get have been orange or lemon citrus flavour with an earthy or cocoa base.  If anyone can help with this, that would be awesome!

(Also, Been decorating my bathroom, hence why there haven't been posts for a while!)

Lastly, saw this when I was in London and it amused me, so why not put it on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment