Total Pageviews

Monday 6 July 2015

Day in Bath!

This post won't be completely about coffee, but about food and drinks in general - I found a few amazing places in Bath for food, coffee and cocktails after deciding to take a trip there.  This was a reasonably caffeinated day with my best friend!
(Coffee is about half way down)

The Real Italian Pizza Co.
16 York Street, Bath, BA1 1NG
First up was lunch - Saw a sign to an authentic pizza place, so thought "hey, why not - even bad pizza is pretty decent!".  (Was about 2PM so we were pretty hungry!)
It did not disappoint!  This pizza had so much flavour, it was incredible - Easily the best pizza in Britain I have tried, same standard as in Italy! It was nice to finally find somewhere with as good pizza as Italy, without having to spend insane amounts for planes, hotels etc.  Kind of wish now that I had an espresso in hope that it was as good as the pizza!  (Maybe next time).  And to make it even better, I could use my tastecard!
Last bit of my meaty pizza!
My friends veggie one! 
As well as the food, the restaurant had a really nice Italian feel, with pizza being made in-front of you, and a beautiful courtyard at the back with flowers and a view of nice buildings.  Situated right by Bath Abbey, it also has gorgeous surroundings.  They also accept most major Italian restaurant vouchers!








Real Italian Ice Cream Co.
Next door to the pizza place, they own an ice cream place with proper Italian Gelato made on premises.  They also sell waffles and pancakes which both look pretty amazing!  This was our evening ice cream craving sorted - I had a massive cone with 5 scoops as I eat plenty.. Green apple, Oreo's, Lemon Meringue,  Peach and Hazelnut.  These were all so creamy and tasty! My favourite was Green Apple, and actually tasted like apples, just a little sweeter! This has also been the best ice cream I have tried in Britain.  (I did have a massive ice cream in Italy, around 15 scoops which beat this just!).   If anyone is around Bath, I recommend these two places! You can also tell that this is popular, as there is constantly a large queue outside.

Colonna and Smalls
6 Chapel Row, Bath, BA1 1HN
And now, back to coffee!  The outside of this place looks different to most coffee shops - almost like an antiques shop because of the awards on stands in the window.  It almost feels like a hidden treasure, being in a nice building then walking in and seeing the espresso bar with all of the pastel blue cups on top of the machine.  Then as you go further back, you realise there is almost a secret garden outside, which was lovely to go into on a sunny day.


At the point where I came in, I needed a caffeine boost quite badly, so went for a flat white, which can be drank quickly, but also tests many abilities of the barista.  There was a nice touch, with three beans for espresso, and three for filter - After a look at the flavour profiles, I thought the Ethiopian one looked interesting!  It came with a quite well defined Heart-Tulip, with some well frothed milk.  At first, I tasted a little cocoa and a reasonable amount of almond balanced with nougat.  There was also a banana flavour mixed with a few other creamy fruits.  I haven't actually tasted a coffee like this, with the creamy fruits - it was a pleasure to drink! 
the flat white!

After trying this, I noticed this cooling looking contraption - A smart beam heater with a coffee syphon.  I was still tired, and wanted a more refreshing drink as it was sunny, so decided to have the same Ethiopian coffee from the syphon! You could tell the barista knew what he was doing, as he explained to me what it is, and how it works.  The coffee I had from it was different to what I've had before from a hot coffee. It was incredibly refreshing, with a sweet lemon and apple citrus flavour, mixed with possible berries.   I had to rate this a 5, being one of my favourites I've been to.
The syphon!

Be At One (Cocktail Bar!) 
The Vaults, 11 Brunel Square, Bath, BA1 1SX
The end of the day called for a few cocktails!  This bar was right next to the train station, which was useful to not miss the last train... We got there around 10 minutes before happy hour finished, and luckily ordered a load of drinks 2 minutes before it ended to get 2 for 1! When we first got there, it was rather manic because of the happy hour, but worth it because they were pretty awesome cocktails! The Cuban Zombie was quite strong, but also nice and refreshing and fruity, being nice in the evening after a busy day.  







No comments:

Post a Comment